Friday, March 28, 2008

bright moment in a cramped space

One evening, two lectures. Both about Dharavi, both about the redevelopment plan. As interesting as they are, my mind still floats away in the overcrowded and hot inner courtyard of our guesthouse.“What do people actually need to be happy?” The people here all appear to be so happy although they live under such barbarian circumstances. I remember the words of David Harvey when he once gave a lecture at our faculty about our system of capitalism and how the world would look like if this system keeps running for 300 years. The system in India or at least in Dharavi seems different. Harvey said we need to change our system, it will change itself anyway. Dharavi vs. capitalism? I don’t know. I realise that I don’t have enough brain capacity to think properly about such heavy subjects. Maybe one day. When I grow up.

No comments: